Thank you for your interest in our technology! We would love to help you continue your groundbreaking research in the field of networking. Here at Barefoot, we are proud that we have busted the myth that “Performance” and “Programmability” cannot be delivered together. Barefoot TofinoTM, our first Ethernet switch runs at 6.5Tb/s and is fully P4-programmable. With Tofino you can try out new forwarding plane functions by describing them in P4, compiling and running on Tofino. We like to say that if your P4 program fits on Tofino, it always runs at line-rate.
We are seeing tremendous interest across the research community for access to Tofino-powered platforms and we wanted to do our part. As such, we set out to facilitate a way for the large number, variety, and geographic distribution of research organizations to gain access to these platforms and software in a scalable way. Introducing the Barefoot Forum for Advanced Switching Technology Education and Research Program (FASTER), a private, online, forum-based, non-commercial, self-support portal created to provide a community in which the members can help support each other. By actively sharing questions, knowledge and experience with each other, members will help promote the advancement of the community.
Program Admission Requirements
Keep in mind, applicants must meet the requirements set forth below. Please review the following list before applying:
- Confidentiality Agreement - A Software License and Confidentiality Agreement (SLACA) shall be executed as-is by the professor or the research chair. This is a standard agreement accepted by over 100 Universities and Research Organizations from around the world. If you believe modifications to the agreement are absolutely necessary, please note the current wait time for legal review is approximately 3-6 months.
- Support - Barefoot is currently limited in its ability to service and support this interest from the large number, variety, and geographic distribution of all of the research organizations. As such, all participants acknowledge and agree that Barefoot will not be able to provide any direct support. Instead, participants shall seek support in the FASTER forum from other FASTER community members. The forum is open to all FASTER Program participants.
- Training - To help ease participant on-boarding and training, Barefoot is offering access to a paid Level 1 Barefoot Academy (BA) training program subject to limited availability. At least one member of the research organization shall be a BA graduate who can assist other members. The research group shall register within 1 month of joining FASTER for Level 1 BA training that will take place within the next 8 months if there is no BA graduate. Please read more about Barefoot Academy here.
- Barefoot TofinoTM Switch - All FASTER member organizations are responsible for acquiring a switch with a Barefoot TofinoTM device. Barefoot will not be selling or loaning any switches and all members are expected to have their own plan to acquire a switch. Please refer to Barefoot partners' websites for more details: Stordis and Edge-core.
- Participation - Participants are highly encouraged to share questions, knowledge and experience with each other to help promote the advancement of the community. All groups shall actively engage and answer at least (1) question per quarter in the FASTER forum.
- Code of Conduct - Participants are expected to treat each other with respect. Forum postings should be constructive. Offensive, misrepresented, harmful, infringing and unlawful contents are unacceptable. User or member group accounts may be suspended if proper conduct is not adhered. Please review the full FASTER program code of conduct here.
- Publication Review - To help preserve Barefoot’s confidentiality, all participants planning to publicly publish information relating to Barefoot technology agree to submit a draft of the proposed publication for review at least (10) days in advance of needing approval.
Failure to comply with the aforementioned terms by any participant of your organization will result in suspension of all members of your organization from the Barefoot FASTERTM forum.
Final qualification and approval is subject to Barefoot’s review of your submitted application
Join the Program
Joining FASTER is as easy as 1-2-3
Submit the Barefoot
Create accounts for your researchers and kick off your program
Thanks again for your interest in our technology and your plans to embark on this great
journey with us to change the future of networking!